Monday 12 April 2010

Geisha are very misunderstood people

Somehow the topic of geisha came up in conversation with my friend the other day and I said "oh, do you know that geisha are supposed to be an illusion of the perfect woman and they have to stay in this matriarchal society for six years and-"
"Yeah, I know, I've read a whole book on geishas, don't talk to me like I'm stupid."
"Actually, you just say geisha, not geishas. So I will talk to you like you're stupid. And what was the book?"
"Something like Memories of a Geisha or something."
I have this weird obsession with all things Japanese (I love the Itsu Japanese restaurant), so when I got home I Googled it, turns out it was Memoirs of a Geisha (so my friend is now a bit stupider) and I thought ooh, this will be interesting so I did some research. Turns out the person that the memoir was based on is trying to sue the writer for countless misinterpretations. After doing a bit of research on what geisha are actually like, the book made it seem like a form of prostitution rather than an amazingly respected profession which requires stamina, patience and a very large amount of skill.
I respect the geisha, and their eccentric yet traditional wax-based makeup.

No comments:

Post a Comment